8 craft ideas for cans and tin cans
Last week Craftzine related to an awesome tutorial to deconstruct cans at Adaptive ReUse. Since then, I’ve been sort of obsessed with craft ideas to reuse metal that would normally hit our recycling bin.
Some of these projects involve taking the boxes apart, while others use the set to create something fun and new. There are project ideas for a bunch of different skill levels, so don’t worry if you’ve never done metal crafts before!
Ready to reuse? Me too!
Tin Can Craft Ideas: Beginner to Intermediate
1. Craft pieces has an easy tutorial for turning an empty can into a cute little lantern.
2. Are you looking for something more child-oriented? Discover this uber-adorable Family Fun Coffee Can Totem.
3. Of course, there is also always the good old tin can phone, if you are looking for more child-friendly projects.
4. Here at Crafting a Green World, Jackie shows us how to modify boxes with just paper and glue!
Tin Can Craft Ideas: Advanced
6. If you want to try something more chic, why not sculpt with tin can pieces like this majestic unicorn. (left photo)? Deconstruct the box, cut out your pieces, and sculpt yourself! For more inspiration, check out the rest of these photos from the Red Bull Art of Can exhibition.I imagine that there is some kind of molded form under this sculpture … maybe paper mache? How do you think something like this would work?
7. With beer or soda can lids, a drill, tongs, and S-hooks, you can turn these can lids into a truly awesome product. wall decoration or room divider. (photo on the right)
8. Take your Dremel and your shears, and you can turn old cans and tins into a cute necklace like this one from Urban Woods Walker. If you are less inclined to put on leather gloves and eye protection, you can also Urban Woods Walker jewelry in his Etsy shop!
Did you do any fun crafts with cans and cans heading for the trash? Tell us about it in the comments!
Finally, all of this can speak to one of my favorite scenes from The Jerk playing over and over in my head:
Work desk. Creative Commons photo remixed by Urban wood walker
Phones in tin can. Creative Commons photo by Julia tenney
Red Bull Art of Can exhibition. CC photo remixed by eschipul
House of beer cans. Creative Commons photo by eschipul