Arts and crafts ideas to keep kids entertained
If you’re trying to come up with arts and crafts ideas to keep your kids entertained, these step-by-step creative guides offer just that.
Debbie Perriss runs the West Winch-based arts and crafts company Gratitude 43 and is an âActivity Angelâ on the Angels of King’s Lynn Facebook group.
The owner of the business gave three ideas to inspire kids to get creative and create their own artwork and crafts.
Parental supervision is recommended for these professions.
You can also watch:
You need: 5 sheets of colored A5 paper, 1 roll of toilet paper, additional strips of colored paper to decorate the roll of toilet paper, a piece of string, glue and a hole punch.
Step 1: Prepare your 3D balloon
- Select the color card you want to use.
- Fold your pieces of paper in half lengthwise.
- Using a circular object such as a small bowl, place it on top of the paper and draw it around it, so that you have a semi-circle, leaving a space of about an inch at the bottom.
- On the other end of the paper, enter about an inch and draw a line towards the semicircle to complete your balloon, like in the picture (4).
- Take your scissors and cut around all of the Balloon shapes.
- Take each of your colored balloons using glue put a little just inside along the edge of the semicircle.
- Take another balloon shape and keeping it folded, glue it onto the one you just glued. For example, you have a blue balloon and you glue the orange balloon to it. Repeat on the other shapes of colored balloons.
- On the last remaining balloon shape – taking your piece of string fold it in half – put glue in the middle of the last balloon shape, and put glue inside on the edge.
- Place the folded piece of string in the middle of the balloon shape.
- So that you can hang your balloon when finished, keep a loop of string at the top of the balloon. When your string is in place, glue the remaining balloon shapes together. Now your 5 pieces of colored paper balloons should all be glued together with the two lengths of string coming out of the bottom, ready to tie the basket.
- Take your toilet paper and cut it in half.
- Taking the colored paper strips, glue them around your toilet paper roll to decorate.
- If you want, you can draw a pattern on the strips first with colored pens, stickers or glitter.
- Using a hole punch, make two holes on each side of your toilet paper roll. Taking the string from the bottom of the balloons, thread it through the holes and tie a knot to secure it.
Creative floral art
You will need: 1 A4 white cardboard, 2 rolls of toilet paper, colored paints, pens and scissors.
- With your two toilet paper rolls, use a pair of scissors and cut the tube of the toilet paper roll to about halfway. Repeat this operation all around the toilet paper roll until you have created a fringe at one end.
- Take the toilet paper that you cut from the bangs. Stand on a surface and gently press down so the bangs start to unfurl.
- Choosing one or two colors of paint, put a small amount on a clean surface or on an old plate or lid.
- Using a paintbrush, place the paintbrush in one of the colors making a circle with the paint large enough to take the circumference of the fringe of our toilet paper roll.
- Taking your toilet paper roll, place the fringed end in the paint and press down so the paint goes over the fringe. Once there is enough paint on the fringed toilet paper roll, gently dab it on the white card, then again until the paint turns slightly pale. Repeat again using a different paint color, going over the first color to create a nice floral pattern.
When you are satisfied with the amount of flowers you have, take a coloring pencil or paint and draw the stems and leaves on the flowers.
You will need: 26 paper circles, 12 adhesive-backed foam stickers, 1 straw, string and a glue stick.
- Using a pair of scissors, cut the string into four pieces – one long enough to fit through the straw, so you can hang your mobile. The remaining string cut into different lengths to hang on the straw.
- Taking the piece of string, cut a piece long enough to fit through the straw. Start threading the string through the straw until it comes out of the other end, then tie the two ends of the string together, forming a triangle with the string when hanging. This is how you hang your mobile.
- Tie the other three pieces of string to the straw. The string should be different lengths, otherwise just cut it to fit.
Take the circles of paper and using your glue stick, glue one of the circles and place it under one of the pieces of string, at the top just under the straw.
- Take the circles of paper and using your glue stick, glue one of the circles and place it under one of the pieces of string, at the top just under the straw.
- Taking another circle of paper, glue one side and glue it on top of the other circle above the string. There should be string between the two circles of paper.
- Taking the 12 sticky-backed foam stickers, glue a few onto the circles of paper. Arrange as you wish. With the remaining paper circles you can draw your own funny faces on flowers, cars, boats, whatever you want.
For more craft ideas, visit facebook.com/gratitude43