Best Magicka Dragonknight PvE Builds in Elder Scrolls Online
When playing Elder Scrolls Online, you have a variety of options to choose the type of character you will play. Dragonknights are very malleable in this regard – they are excellent Magicka (magic-based) DPS, excellent Tanks and fairly good Stamina DPS as well. If you’re wondering what the best Magicka Dragonknight builds are in ESO, we’ve got you covered.
Magicka Dragonknights are considered a damage dealing role. In most cases, you’ll be using an Inferno Staff as your primary and secondary weapon, largely due to how well your Dragon Knight abilities synergize with the Inferno Staff’s abilities. There are two key versions to play a Magicka Dragonknight – solo play, for exploration, and party play, for dungeons.
Equipment, traits and enchantments
Equipment for this role varies, but for starters, you can’t go wrong with The sorrow of the mother 5 pieces (chest, legs, hands, waist and feet), Julianos Law Where Magnus’ Gift 5 pieces (weapon, rings and necklace) and Heart of ice 2 pieces (head and shoulders). The sorrow of the mother drops to Deshaan, Julianos and Magnus‘ can be crafted or purchased from guild merchants, and Heart of ice can be found in Direfrost Keep. If you are able, Burning Spellweaver is a great replacement for Mother’s Sorrow, but it drops from the City of Ash dungeon and can be hard to find.
Traits for starters should be Training as you’re still grinding champion points and all helps but if you want a damage set a healthy mix of Divines and Infused on your armor pieces and Bloodthirst on your jewelry will help you. Enchantments should be Magicka or Spell Damage on all your pieces except the weapon – put a flame glyph on it.
There are a lot of skills to choose from and you only have a limited number of skill points when you start out. It is recommended to acquire the skills below first and then start investing in passives of all lines (Racial, Mages Guild, Fighters Guild, Undaunted, Soul Magic, Class and Armor.) Here are our active skills recommended for single target encounters. :
- Lava Whip > Molten Whip (Fiery Flame): This is a spammable single target attack that gets more powerful when you use other Burning Flame abilities, which you will do a lot. The alternate form, Flame Lash, is more useful for solo play, as you can often knock enemies off balance.
- Searing Strike > Burning Embers (Burning Flame): This is a damage over time ability that heals you when the effect ends, either from expiration or by reapplying it. This is very helpful for survivability and should be a priority.
- Fiery Breath > Engulfing Flames (Fiery Flame): This is another DoT attack, but it hits a conical area in front of you and causes all enemies hit to take 10% more fire damage.
- Spiked Armor > Volatile Armor (Draconic Power): This is a buff that boosts your defenses, inflicts another DoT on enemies, and deals reflection damage to melee attackers. It’s fantastic for survivability.
- Stonefist > Obsidian Shard (Heart of Earth): This deals a negligible small amount of damage, but it immediately heals you for a large portion of your health. Ideal for maintenance. Replace this with flames of oblivion if you don’t need healing.
- Ultimate: Elemental Storm > Elemental Rage (Staff of Destruction): This is your strongest ultimate in terms of raw AoE damage. When used with an Inferno Staff, damage is further increased by 15%.
Then here are some alternatives to keep on your backbar or level up in case you need more AoE damage or group survivability:
- Inhale > Draw Essence (draconic power)
- Impulse > Pulsar (Destruction Staff)
- Elemental Wall > Unstable Elemental Wall (Staff of Destruction)
- Inferno > Flames of Oblivion (Burning Flame)
- Cancellation > Harness Magicka (light armor)
- Ultimate: Dragonknight Standard > Standard of Might (Burning Flame)
For Warfare, it is recommended to focus on Precision, Fighting Finesse and Deadly Aim first. Then you have options, but Piercing, Weapons Expert, and Master-At-Arms are good first choices. In the Fitness tree, we recommend Rejuvenation and Unlimited Vitality to start with. Then Hero’s Vigor and Hasty are useful to grab. Finally, for the Craft tree, Steed’s Blessing and Wanderer are solid first picks, followed by Breakfall, then whatever else you want to pick.